Addition Breathes New Life Into Historic Tudor
Before and After Photos:
Cherokee Parkway Area
Door Store and Windows Consultant:
WJL Design Associates (website)
Jim Phillips Restoration & Remodeling (website)
- Marvin Ultimate Double Hung Windows
- Marvin Ultimate French Inswing Doors
- Marvin Ultimate Awning Windows
Jim Phillips, a Registered Remodelor and owner of Jim Phillips Restoration & Remodeling was asked by the homeowner to work with Bill Lammlein, owner/designer of WJL Design Associates on the architecture for the project. Since the home is located in the Cherokee Triangle Landmark District, plans for the remodel required review and approval by the Landmarks Commission.
- Jim points out that in the Historic Landmarks and Preservation Districts, renovations or additions require a review and approval process to help preserve the distinctive characteristics of each district and historic landmark.
- The Landmarks Commission states, “Any alteration that modifies or adds to the outside of an existing structure, and any new construction or demolition on the property, must be reviewed and approved by the Landmarks Commission. Design review guidelines apply to the front, back and sides of structures. This also includes the alteration of contributing architectural features such as windows and doors.”
- Jim has used Marvin windows for previous historic additions in Landmark Districts and knew they were a good choice for this type of project.
- The end result brings the historic Tudor up to current livability standards with higher energy efficiency, lower maintenance and easier operating windows while maintaining the integrity of the home.
Jim enjoyed the specialized knowledge Don Erickson, Door Store and Windows Sales Consultant added to the project.
I consider the design and sizing of windows carefully. Don worked with me and provided a personalized level of service that made the project go smoothly. The Marvin windows look a lot more like older windows than some other windows and I’ve had good results in several previous projects.
– Jim Phillips, Builder