Opening Up Space Allows This Gem To Shine
Before and After Photos:
Revealing A Gem
Crescent Hill Area
Door Store and Windows Consultant:
Wood Mark Design
Redsmith Construction LLC (website)
Jeff Smith and Jason Redenbaugh
- Marvin Clad Ultimate Replacement Double-Hung Windows
- Marvin Clad Ultimate Replacement Picture Window
- Marvin Clad Ultimate Replacement Casement Window
- Marvin Clad Ultimate New Construction Double-Hung Windows
- Integrity Wood/Ultrex Casement Windows
- Marvin Clad Ultimate French Inswing Double Doors
Space planner Jan Uhl, architect Steve Vice, and contractor Redsmith Construction collaborated to create a renovation which has open living spaces while retaining the character of the home. Door Store and Windows provided the new windows and doors used in the project.
- Multiple small rooms on the first floor were converted to an open living room, dining room and kitchen featuring architectural columns and a lowered kitchen ceiling to establish a feeling of division while allowing each space to show its individual character.
- A new fireplace was created with built-in bookcases on both sides. Matching Marvin Awning Windows flank the fireplace to bring light into the space.
- Maintaining architectural details of the home was important to the homeowners. All original moldings were retained and new Craftsman-style trim was added in a portion of the living/dining area. The Marvin Double-Hung Windows in the kitchen and dining room areas feature a “two over one” design that fits the style of the home.
- A change in the roofline of the porch required changing the height of a window opening without disrupting the look of the facade. The team decided to keep the top of the window at the existing height and shorten the opening. Another design solution involved adding a center mullion horizontally on a casement window to make it work visually with the neighborhood architecture.
- A Marvin Horizontal Picture Window was added above a bar to add light and visual interest to the area.
- Marvin French Inswing Double Doors open to a welcoming outdoor screened porch living area with fireplace, ambient lighting, an extended area for grilling and a dining deck.
This Crescent Hill gem now shines as a great example of combining a home’s historic and unique character with today’s lifestyle needs. The homeowners love their outdoor area and have taken advantage of all the built-ins to maximize interior space. And from the outside, the home blends naturally in its architectural community.
Tour of Remodeled Homes
This showcase is a featured home in the 2014 Tour of Remodeled Homes sponsored by Building Industry Association of Greater Louisville.
Everything was great with the Door Store and Windows team and the Marvin products. We mixed new windows with old windows and everything blends well.
– Jeff Smith, Redsmith Construction