Spring has sprung, and the weather is finally warm! Are you ready to open up your home to the outdoors? Indoor/outdoor living is key in warmer months, and can translate well in the colder months too. Scenic doors are becoming increasingly popular, offering extended openings with a large covering of glass that increases the natural light flowing into a space and allows for expanded views of the outdoors.
What are the critical factors you should consider when purchasing a scenic door? We’re here to help:
- Budget: A scenic door is larger than a standard patio door – starting at 9’ wide going up to 40’ wide and 10’ tall – so they will cost more than regular swinging or sliding doors.
- Primary function: Will the door be used for entry/exit or primarily as a space divider? Options like the Marvin Ultimate Multi Slide Door is a panoramic door that offers expansive views, but may not be practical if being used as a primary point of entry.
- Opening: Is the existing opening large enough, and the wall deep enough to accept a scenic door? Most homes do not have the large openings required to receive these larger doors. A remodel or new construction project each offer perfect opportunities to achieve the open feeling of bringing the outdoors inside a great-room or kitchen.
- Proper overhang: Marvin Scenic Doors are designed to keep the weather out. But, since these are very large doors, extreme weather could be a factor. A proper overhang will help protect your doors and home from the elements.
- Style: Is your architectural design more contemporary or traditional? With the array of options available, this is a deciding factor. Our design team is happy to help with your selection.
- Floor covering: Will the floor be the same inside and out or will the door separate two different floors? Ideally the flooring will be the same height on both sides of the door. If they will be different, you will want to consult with your builder/remodeler on your best options.
“The impact these doors have on a home is difficult to explain. I met a builder and homeowners at their home to discuss some hardware issues. The builder and I were talking as the homeowners arrived. They walked to their new Bi-fold door going from the family room to the patio and I could not count the number of times they said WOW. Clearly this would be the focal point of their home.” – Jim Platt, New Construction Specialist, Door Store and Windows.
Ready to make this kind of impact in your home? Give us a call.